SGT Michael Joe Beckerman was 17 ½ when he enlisted into the National Guard.
SGT Beckerman served two tours in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and one tour in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. While serving his country on these deployments, SGT Beckerman enrolled into the Sonoran Desert Institute and worked toward continuing his education. On 31 December 2010, he made the ultimate sacrifice. SGT Beckerman was killed in action (KIA) in Howz-e Madad, Afghanistan. He is survived by his daughter Brianna.
In memoriam of our student’s great sacrifice, the Sonoran Desert Institute is proud to present the SGT Michael Beckerman Memorial Scholarship. The scholarship provides full tuition and fees each semester to two recipients annually, one in the Fall and one in the Spring.
Initial Eligibility Requirements:
The SGT Michael Beckerman Memorial Scholarship is a full academic scholarship for SDI’s Associate of Science and Firearms Technology degree program. All applying candidates must:
- Currently be serving in the armed forces or be a veteran of military service.
- Be in good standing with his/her current branch of service or have received an “Honorable Discharge.”
- Provide a DD214, or other documentation verifying military service.
- Demonstrate a commitment to and passion for the firearms industry and gunsmithing trade by answering essay questions.
- Submit a regular SDI application for enrollment, with all relevant supporting documentation.
- Provide a letter of recommendation sent directly to the school by the individual providing the recommendation. This letter may come from the commander for members of the military service or from any non-family member for applicants that are post-military.
- Provide military documentation of service; DD214 if post-military service.
- Begin studies at SDI within 6 months following the award of the scholarship.
The SGT Michael Beckerman Memorial Scholarship is a full academic scholarship for SDI’s Associate of Science in Firearms Technology degree program. All applying candidates must:
- Meet SDI’s Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements and be free of any financial holds on their accounts.
- Be continuously enrolled to retain scholarship eligibility.
*Note: Please send all documentation to: Sonoran Desert Institute attn: Scholarships, 8767 E. Via de Ventura, Ste. 126, Scottsdale, AZ 85258