Paul Jackson served in Bravo Company, 501st BN, 101st Airborne Division during WWII. As a paratrooper, Mr. Jackson made the jump into Normandy during Operation Overlord, the jump into Holland during Operation Market Garden, and was wounded on 12 January 1945 in Bastogne, Belgium.
In honor of Mr. Jackson’s sacrifice, SDI is proud to present the semi-annual Paul Jackson First Responder Scholarship. The annual scholarship provides full tuition and fees each semester to two recipients, one in the fall and one in the spring.
Initial Eligibility Requirements:
The Paul Jackson First Responder Scholarship is a full academic scholarship for SDI’s Associate of Science in Firearms Technology degree program. All applicants must:
- Currently be serving or be retired from the armed forces; currently be serving or be retired from law enforcement; currently be serving or be a retired firefighter; or currently be serving or a retired emergency medical technician.
- Be in good standing or received an honorable release from their branch of service or field.
- Provide documentation verifying service.
- Demonstrate a commitment to and passion for the firearms industry and gunsmithing trade by answering essay questions.
- Provide a letter of recommendation sent directly to the school by the individual providing the recommendation. The letter may come from a commander or director if still serving or from a non-family member for retired applicants.
- Submit a DD214 if post-military service.
- Begin studies at SDI within 6 months following the award of the scholarship.
- Recipients must meet SDI’s Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements and be free of any financial holds on their accounts.
- Recipients must be continuously enrolled to retain scholarship eligibility.
*Note: Please send all documentation to: Sonoran Desert Institute attn: Scholarships, 8767 E. Via de Ventura, Ste. 126, Scottsdale, AZ 85258